You may come across certain issues where you need to check and manage Word documents such as when the disk space is low or if the file size is large to send email attachment, etc. To solve this issue, here we are providing some tips to compress MS Word documents.
- Insert Graphics rather than Copy-Pasting
Most of them copy paste to add pictures into the MS Word but this is of no use as the pasted image is a bitmap file. Hence, to reduce the file size, make use of file format such as JPG, GIF, etc. Here is how to insert picture into MS Word
- Go to Insert menu and select Picture
- Select file from the submenu
- Next, choose the picture you want and click on the Insert button
Note: In case, if you want to link to the picture, then in step 3, click the down arrow next to the button and select Link to the file.
- Compress Pictures
This feature was added in Word 2002, which lets you to compress pictures to reduce the file size. To compress pictures in MS Word, you need to follow the steps as below:
- Right click on the picture in your document
- Then select Format Picture from the shortcut menu
- Next, select Picture tab
- Now, click the Compress button in the lower left
- Select your options and click OK.
- Turn off Preview Picture Feature
To identify the Word documents or templates before you open them, Word lets you to save a preview image with a document file which will be visible in the Open dialog box. This feature shows in the Details section of Windows Explorer when you highlight the file. To turn off Preview Picture in Microsoft Word, use the steps below:
- From the File menu, select Properties
- Then choose the Summary tab
- Next, deselect the check box for Save preview picture
- Click on OK.
- Know the Versions
There are certain MS Office versions where you need to add versions. When compared to other versions, this feature is found to increase the file size. So, you can either turn this feature off, or delete unneeded versions. Here is how to turn off versions in Microsoft Word:
- From the File menu, choose Versions
- In the Versions dialog, deselect Automatically save a version on close
- If required, highlight an existing version(s) and click on Delete
- Then choose Close
- Turn off Fast Save feature
Fast Save feature lets you save files fast and saves your time. Inspite of saving files in logic order, this feature saves the recent changes and appends them to the previous file. Hence, Word rewrites the whole file to start with a clean copy often. Since, the file size of the Fast Save are larger and take up more space, it is necessary to turn this off. Follow the steps below to turn this feature off
- From the Tools menu, select Options
- Then choose the Save tab
- Under this, deselect Allow fast saves
- Next, click OK.
Well, by implementing the tips as mentioned above you can compress your Word files. Some of the tips help in better file size reductions than others based on the document elements. But, while managing the size of Word files, if the file gets corrupt and becomes inaccessible by displaying the error message then fret not; make use of Word Repair tool. To fix broken Word document, this tool scans and extracts the text from damaged Word files that are inaccessible and can be saved in a new healthy Word file. Also, supports in fixing all types of DOC, DOCX files. Even OLE objects, fields including hyperlinks can be restored from corrupt Word files with this utility.